Pair of Vintage Tailplane Wing Panels
These are two original tailplane wing panels from a real aircraft. These are the elevon panels from a SAAB Draken Jet. The function of the tailplane is to provide stability and control. The tailplane helps adjust for changes in position of the center of gravity or center of pressure, caused by changes in speed and attitude, fuel consumption, or dropping cargo or payload.
The olive green tailplane wing panels are painted. One wing is painted with the word "NAVY" in white block letters. The other wing had U.S. Aircraft Star, in red, white, and navy paint. The U.S. Aircraft Star logo, as displayed here, has been in use from 1947 to the present. The olive-green paint is original to the panels; the "NAVY" and U.S. Aircraft Star insignia paint were added later.
The Draken 35 Jet was produced by Swedish company SAAB who began producing airplanes in 1937. This model was primarily used by the Danish, Swedish, Austrian, and Finish Air Forces. Records show that this type of aircraft was not typically operated by any branch of the U.S. armed forces.
These tail wings are likely from a Draken 35 purchased and used by the American National Test Pilot School (NTPS), located in Mojave, California and founded in 1981. NTPS reported to have six SAAB 35 Drakens that were later retired. Their website reports that the Draken Jets were formally first used by the Danish Royal Air Force and then by the NTPS from 1994 to 2009 and then were scrapped for parts or sent to museums. Some of the jets were on display at the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, California; the Colonel Vernon P Saxon Jr. Aerospace Museum in Boron, California; and the Witt Event Center at the Mojave Air and Space Port.
The Danish customs label attached to these wings indicate that they were exported to America on August 29, 1990.
Wing panels are in good condition, considering age and use. Several scratches and small chips to paint on both wing panels. Already fitted with hanging wire in back. Dimensions for each wing: 27"H x 48 1/2" W x 6" D.